32.5 C
Jakarta
Friday, April 4, 2025

Keith Siegel: Hamas fulfilled all my needs while in Gaza

WorldMiddle East & AfricaKeith Siegel: Hamas fulfilled all my needs while in Gaza

After 15 months of detention in Gaza, Keith Siegel, a US-Israel dual citizen, was finally released by Hamas. In a video released by the Al-Qassam Brigade, Hamas’s armed wing, Siegel revealed how he was treated during the hostage period.

“The fighters who keep me ensure that all my needs are met, including food, drinks, medicines, and other medical care,” Siegel said in a recording published on Sunday (2/2/2025). He also added that the food provided was adjusted to his health condition.

Not only Siegel, Gadi Moses, an 80 -year -old hostage who was released earlier, also conveyed his testimony. In a statement to his family, he revealed that while in Gaza, he was treated with respect and shared the same food with the Hamas fighters. “They even gave me a book about the environment and Islam,” Moses said. However, he also acknowledged that Israeli air strikes became the most frightening experience during custody.

Previously, Chen Goldstein-Almog, an Israeli woman who was released last November, also tells how she and her three children were protected by Hamas members when Israel’s air strikes hit where they were detained. “They stood on us, protecting us with their bodies from attacks,” he recalls.

The dynamics of the ceasefire negotiations

Along with the liberation of the hostages, diplomacy efforts to stop conflicts in Gaza continue. Qatar’s Prime Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, asked Israel and Hamas to immediately begin the second stage of a ceasefire negotiation.

“We demanded both parties to be immediately involved in negotiations in accordance with the agreement that had been made,” Sheikh Mohammed said at a press conference in Doha. This negotiation becomes very crucial, considering the second stage of the agreement includes the remaining left over by the hostility, terminating permanent hostility, and the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.

The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office said that negotiations will begin on Monday (3/2/2025) in Washington. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to meet with the Middle East messenger of the US President, Donald Trump, Steve Witkoff. This discussion is expected to bring further clarity about Israel’s attitude in negotiations.

Meanwhile, main mediators such as Qatar and Egypt continue to carry out intensive communication with both parties. Sheikh Mohammed stressed the importance of starting negotiations as soon as possible so that the agreement can be achieved before the 42nd day of the first stage of the ceasefire.

With more than 70 hostages still in Gaza and thousands of Palestinians who continue to suffer from prolonged war, international pressure is increasing to ensure both parties reach a sustainable solution. Now, the world is waiting for whether this second stage of negotiations can bring peace to areas that have long been hit by conflict.

Check out our other content

Check out other tags:

Most Popular Articles